Mayors Adapt is offering cities across Europe the opportunity to take part in peer-to-peer exchanges that aim to increase municipalities’ capacity and knowledge to adapt to climate change. The twinning visits connect cities that are starting their adaptation work to mentor municipalities that have already developed successful strategies to make their territories more resilient. The learning municipality travels to the mentor to understand how the latter tackled the climate hazards. The first online call for participants in the Mayors Adapt city twinning programme was launched in June 2015.
Due to the success of the 2015 edition, a new programme was launched in 2016 with 11 cities selected from 7 different countries.
• Isola Vicentina (IT) will mentor Agueda (PT) and Andrano (IT) –focus on flood protection
• Sevilla will mentor Thessaloniki (GR) and Braga (PT) – focus on water management, governance and planning
• Peer-learning exchange between Bratislava (SK), Bremen (DE) and Arnhem (NL) –focus on adaptation planning, stakeholder engagement, urban heat islands
• Peer learning exchange between Murcia (ES) and Piraeus (GR) – focus on urban water management, adaptation to extreme temperatures
Visits will take place between November 2016 and 20 January 2017.
Why are cities joining the twinning programme?
If you are a mentor, you…
• host the learning city visit and get a chance to showcase your achievements.
• define follow-up actions with the learning city to continue exchanges and mentoring after the visit.
• get visibility on the Mayors Adapt/Covenant of Mayors websites and publications for your adaptation actions.
• can be offered speaker slots at high-level European events.
If you are a learning city, you…
• travel to your mentor city.
• receive support from your mentor city and the Mayors Adapt office to implement your adaptation actions after the visit.
• can be offered speaker slots at Mayors Adapt related European events.
What does Mayors Adapt provide in terms of funding and support?
For mentor cities:
• A cover for visits costs (up to €180 per visit).
• Presence of a Mayors Adapt representative during the visits.
For learning cities:
• A cover for travel (up to €350) and accommodation (up to €480) costs at your mentor city.
For both cities:
• Support to the organisation of the visit.
• Presence of a twinning facilitator during the visit.
• Support for follow-up work after the visit (transferability assessment).
2015 TWINNING PROGRAMME
• Barcelona (Spain) and Chania (Greece)
– Twinning focus: Governance of the adaptation process and water management,
– Twinning visit report: Barcelona, 3-5 October 2016;
• Copenhagen (Denmark) and Antwerp (Belgium)
– Twinning focus: General Adaptation planning, and stakeholder engagement,
– Twinning visit report: Copenhagen, 25-28 April 2016;
• Lisbon (Portugal) and Florence (Italy)
– Twinning focus: Water Management and how to build a comprehensive adaptation strategy,
– Twinning visit report: Lisbon, 07-09 March 2016;
• Valencia (Spain) and Cesena (Italy)
– Twinning focus: Stakeholder engagement and flood prevention;
• Edinburgh (United Kingdom), Glasgow (United Kingdom) and Stockholm (Sweden)
– Twinning focus: Stakeholder engagement and governance of the adaptation process,
– Twinning visit report: Edinburgh and Glasgow, 18-20 May 2016;
• Newcastle upon Tyne (United Kingdom) and Belfast (United Kingdom)
– Twinning focus: Emergency planning, adaptation strategies involving economic actors;
• Bologna (Italy), Lleida (Spain) and the Union of Municipalities of Terra di Leuca (Italy)
– Twinning focus: Water scarcity and urban agriculture,
– Twinning visit report: Bologna, 18-19 April 2016;
• Cascais (Portugal) and Ilion (Greece)
– Twinning focus: Strategic planning and risk and climate monitoring,
– Twinning visit report: Cascais, 03-04 March 2016;
• Munich (Germany) and Prague (Czech Republic)
– Twinning focus: risk mapping, green spaces and flood prevention,
– Twinning visit report: Munich, 27-28 April 2016;
• Rouen (France) and Stirling (United Kingdom)
– Twinning focus: Green urbanism and water management,
– Twinning visit report: Rouen, 15-16 September 2016.
Contact person regarding the twinnings: Claire Baffert, email@example.com, Tel:+32 2 552-0851.
For general information regarding Mayors Adapt, contact our Helpdesk firstname.lastname@example.org.