Mayors Adapt is offering cities across Europe the opportunity to take part in peer-to-peer exchanges that aim to increase municipalities’ capacity and knowledge to adapt to climate change. The twinning visits connect cities that are starting their adaptation work to mentor municipalities that have already developed successful strategies to make their territories more resilient. The learning municipality travels to the mentor to understand how the latter tackled the climate hazards. The first online call for participants in the Mayors Adapt city twinning programme was launched in June 2015.
NEW 2016 CALL OPEN!
Due to the success of the 2015 edition, we open additional twinnings for 8 more cities. Visits will take place between November 2016 and 20 January 2017.
The 2016 city twinning programme is open to:
• All towns and cities that have already signed up to the Mayors Adapt initiative or to the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy.
• All towns and cities that have not signed up to any of these two initiatives, provided that they commit to have the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy political commitment adopted by their Municipal Council before their twinning visits starts.
• Towns and cities that have already applied to the 2015 programme but have not been selected can apply again and follow a fast-track application procedure.
Cities and towns that are already participating to the 2015 programme cannot apply again.
To apply: send the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 12 September 2016 cob.
More information on conditions: 2016 call
Why are cities joining the twinning programme?
If you are a mentor, you…
• host the learning city visit and get a chance to showcase your achievements.
• define follow-up actions with the learning city to continue exchanges and mentoring after the visit.
• get visibility on the Mayors Adapt/Covenant of Mayors websites and publications for your adaptation actions.
• can be offered speaker slots at high-level European events.
If you are a learning city, you…
• travel to your mentor city.
• receive support from your mentor city and the Mayors Adapt office to implement your adaptation actions after the visit.
• can be offered speaker slots at Mayors Adapt related European events.
What does Mayors Adapt provide in terms of funding and support?
For mentor cities:
• A cover for visits costs (up to €180 per visit).
• Presence of a Mayors Adapt representative during the visits.
For learning cities:
• A cover for travel (up to €350) and accommodation (up to €480) costs at your mentor city.
For both cities:
• Support to the organisation of the visit.
• Presence of a twinning facilitator during the visit.
• Support for follow-up work after the visit (transferability assessment).
2015 TWINNING PROGRAMME
• Barcelona (Spain) and Chania (Greece)
– Twinning focus: Governance of the adaptation process and water management;
• Copenhagen (Denmark) and Antwerp (Belgium)
– Twinning focus: General Adaptation planning, and stakeholder engagement,
– Twinning visit report: Copenhagen, 25-28 April 2016;
• Lisbon (Portugal) and Florence (Italy)
– Twinning focus: Water Management and how to build a comprehensive adaptation strategy,
– Twinning visit report: Lisbon, 07-09 March 2016;
• Valencia (Spain) and Cesena (Italy)
– Twinning focus: Stakeholder engagement and flood prevention;
• Edinburgh (United Kingdom), Glasgow (United Kingdom) and Stockholm (Sweden)
– Twinning focus: Stakeholder engagement and governance of the adaptation process,
– Twinning visit report: Edinburgh and Glasgow, 18-20 May 2016;
• Newcastle upon Tyne (United Kingdom) and Belfast (United Kingdom)
– Twinning focus: Emergency planning, adaptation strategies involving economic actors;
• Bologna (Italy), Lleida (Spain) and the Union of Municipalities of Terra di Leuca (Italy)
– Twinning focus: Water scarcity and urban agriculture;
• Cascais (Portugal) and Ilion (Greece)
– Twinning focus: Strategic planning and risk and climate monitoring,
– Twinning visit report: Cascais, 03-04 March 2016;
• Munich (Germany) and Prague (Czech Republic)
– Twinning focus: risk mapping, green spaces and flood prevention;
• Rouen (France) and Stirling (United Kingdom)
– Twinning focus: Green urbanism and water management.
Contact person regarding the twinnings: Claire Baffert, email@example.com, Tel:+32 2 552-0851.
For general information regarding Mayors Adapt, contact our Helpdesk firstname.lastname@example.org.