How to sign up
The Mayors Adapt initiative is open to all local authorities that meet the following criteria:
- Official status of a “local authority” such as a “city” or an organised “agglomeration”;
- Democratically constituted with/by elected representatives;
- Have an elected, political leader who can act on its behalf;
- Must be located in the European Union (EU) territory; or in an EU Candidate or Potential Candidate, a European Free Trade Association or a southern Neighbourhood country*.
* Including Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Egypt, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Kosovo**, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Morocco, Norway, Palestine***, Serbia, Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
** This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.
*** This designation does not entail any recognition of Palestine as a state and is without prejudice to positions on the recognition of Palestine as a state.
By joining the initiative, participating local authorities will experience multiple benefits. Mayors Adapt will enable and facilitate the showcasing of local actions on adaptation as well as profile the city, nation, and the EU as a whole, as a pioneer in climate change adaptation.
The initiative also offers a platform for more extensive communication among cities and between local and European-level authorities. This increases the capacity for sharing best practice, learning from each other, sharing expertise and offering and finding support.
You want to know more why it is worth joining Mayors Adapt? See here the five good reasons to join!
To sign up to Mayors Adapt a local authority must:
1. Present and discuss the commitment document provided by the initiative in their municipal council (or equivalent decision-making body)
2. Complete and sign the commitment document.
The commitment document is then sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for the local authority’s inclusion in the list of official signatories of Mayors Adapt.
Commitment to adaptation action
By signing up to the initiative, local authorities commit to contributing to the overall aim of the EU Adaptation Strategy by:
• Either developing a comprehensive local adaptation strategy
• or integrating adaptation to climate change into relevant existing plans.
In both cases cities will submit an adaptation strategy within 2 years of signing the commitment. Signatories will also report on their city’s achievements every second year via the city’s profile fact sheet on the Mayors Adapt website.
The Helpdesk is the first contact point for all local authorities and other stakeholders interested in the Mayors Adapt initiative. The Helpdesk is an experienced, multidisciplinary and multinational team which can handle enquiries received in the main EU languages (i.e. English, French, Spanish, German and Italian).
Contact the Helpdesk Team:
For more information about the Mayors Adapt initiative, including how to sign up, please contact the dedicated Helpdesk – see the contact details here.